The summer transfer window is in its final month for the big European leagues, which means the biggest clubs are looking to make a splash in the market before the start of the new season. Check out the latest gossip below, and check out all the official offers here.
TOP STORY: Barca and Milan for Man City’s Silva
AC Milan to face competition from Barcelona against Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva, which is attracting interest from Camp Nou, according to Le10 Sport.
Jack Grealish’s arrival at City has left the Portuguese star’s first-team minutes uncertain, and Ronald Koeman’s side are now believed to be considering a move for Silva.
The 27-year-old, who has been linked with Milan in recent weeks, contributed eight goals in 24 Premier League starts last season and was also involved in Portugal’s Euro 2020 campaign this summer.
Silva joined Man City from Monaco in 2017 after going through the Benfica youth system and has been an integral part of Pep Guardiola’s tenure, winning three Premier League titles, one FA Cup and four EFL Cups since joining the Etihad.
While Barcelona still face injury absences – like Philippe Coutinho and Ansu fati – as well as the departure of Lionel messi, a playmaker like Silva could be a nice addition if the Catalan club manage to overcome their financial difficulties and find a way to bring him to Spain.
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
09.35 BST: Kylian Mbappé is on Manchester United’s list of potential targets as they prepare a move for a big name ahead next summer, sources told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
United are open to the possibility of adding another player to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad in this transfer window, with the club holding an interest in the central midfielder and right-back position ahead of the deadline. August 31.
United are also building for the future and plan to sign a center-forward in the summer 2022 window with Solskjaer and the recruiting team drawing up a list of options. Mbappe is one of the options on the table, along with Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland, Tottenham striker Harry kane and Inter Milan Lautaro Martinez.
Mbappe has entered the final year of his contract at Paris Saint-Germain, and United are maintaining a watch file on his situation. Real Madrid officials have openly discussed the possibility of signing the 22-year-old, who has also been linked with Liverpool, this summer during negotiations for the transfer of Raphael Varane from the Bernabeu to Old Trafford. A source said Madrid need funds generated by Varane’s departure for their “Project Mbappe” initiative, although La Liga privately admit that a transfer this summer is unlikely.
09.19 BST: Brighton & Hove Albion’s Mars Solly signed a new three-year contract with the club.
On March 27, celebrated his decade at the club by putting the pen to a deal that runs until 2024.
Seagulls manager Graham Potter said of the winger, who has made over 200 appearances for the club: “I am really delighted to see Solly engage his future here, it is a pleasure to work with him. and it’s great to see him continue to progress.
“As a local boy he is a great role model and a great example for any young player with his commitment and hard work. He is a player who has a significant impact for us on both ends of the pitch, and we are delighted. that he committed his long term for the club. “
What a way to start the week! ✍️ pic.twitter.com/kXzG4iXxFh
– Brighton & Hove Albion (@OfficialBHAFC) 23 Aug 2021
08:55 BST: Bayern Munich announced that the midfielder Joshua Kimmich signed a contract extension engaging him with the Bundesliga champions until 2025.
Germany international Kimmich has won 17 trophies since joining Bayern from RB Leipzig in 2015, including six league titles, three DFB-Pokals and the Champions League in 2019-20.
The 26-year-old said on the club’s website: “The most important reason for my contract extension is that I can happily pursue my passion every day here at FC Bayern. I have a team where I can achieve everything, and a lot of my teammates have become real friends, that’s why I started playing football, because it must be fun.
“I still don’t think I am at the end of my development and I am convinced that there are a lot of possibilities at FC Bayern in the next few years. On top of that my family feels at home here. Munich has become a second house. The combination we have here is not found everywhere in the world. “
– English FC Bayern (@FCBayernEN) 23 Aug 2021
08.38 BST: Xherdan Shaqiri is set to join Lyon after the French club announced they have an agreement in principle to sign the Liverpool midfielder.
Shaqiri, 29, signed for Liverpool in 2018 as part of a £ 13million transfer from Stoke City, but was never able to hold onto a place in Jurgen Klopp’s first team. The Switzerland international is now set to leave Anfield after scoring seven goals and recording five assists in 45 Premier League appearances for Liverpool, starting just 18 of those games.
Lyon said in a statement on Sunday evening: “Olympique Lyonnais are happy to have finally reached an agreement in principle with Liverpool for the transfer of Swiss international midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri, who was a key figure in his country. during the European Championship this summer.
“Shaqiri, who is encouraged by the OL project, will arrive tonight in Lyon where he will be welcomed by Juninho. The finalization of the transfer remains conditional on the result of the medical examination that the player will undergo this Monday morning and the finalization of the last administrative formalities. “
08:00 BST: Cristiano Ronaldo was dropped on the bench for Juventus’ 2-2 draw against Udinese in their Serie A opener on Sunday, amid speculation surrounding his future at the club.
Ronaldo eventually came on as a substitute, introduced in the 60th minute for Alvaro Morata, in a chaotic end to the game which saw the Portugal international see yellow for excessive celebration after thinking he had scored the winner of the match only for VAR to exclude it. for offside.
According to Sky Italy, Ronaldo has asked not to start the game. ESPN has reached out to representatives for Ronaldo for comment.
Juve manager Massimiliano Allegri on Saturday dismissed reports that Ronaldo could leave Turin this summer, saying the former Real Madrid player had told him he was going to stay.
Gab Marcotti analyzes transfer rumors surrounding Cristiano Ronaldo and explains how this saga could end.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Fabrice Romano reports there is a new offer from Chelsea to sign Sevilla defender Jules Koundé. The France international has attracted the interest of many clubs this season, but it is believed the Spanish club will turn down any late offer that leaves little time to aim for a replacement. The 22-year-old remains a key part of the Sevilla squad and started in the season opener against Rayo Vallecano.
– Internazionale will focus its efforts on Joaquin Corréa as the Serie A champions continue to seek a replacement for Romelu Lukaku. Calciomercato writes that the Italian club have cooled their interest in Borussia Mönchengladbach Marcus Thuram, which propelled the Lazio star Correa to the top of the shortlist. The 27-year-old scored eight times in 25 Serie A appearances last season.
– Marseille has identified Alexandre sorloth as a potential replacement for Dario benedetto. This is according to Le10 Sport, which says the Marseille president is looking to take RB Leipzig forward in France. The 25-year-old forward has been on the radar of several clubs this summer, and it looks like the Ligue 1 side will continue their summer spending after Benedetto joins Elche.
– that of Davide Zappacosta Premier League time appears to be over with Gianluca Di Marzio signaling that a move to Atalanta is near. The Chelsea defender has struggled to win first-team football at Stamford Bridge since the emergence of Reece james and, despite talks about a loan to Fiorentina, it now looks like Atalanta have won the race to sign the attacking right-back. The 29-year-old has made three substitute appearances for Chelsea in the preseason.
– Corriere dello Sport write that Napoli have made official contact with the Barcelona midfielder Miralem Pjanic, because the Serie A team are keen to challenge Juventus for his signing. The report claims that Luciano Spalletti phoned Pjanic to try to persuade him to come to Naples. The LaLiga midfielder is expected to leave before the end of the transfer window, with Koeman’s side deeming him in excess of requirements as they seek to cut their salary budget.